With spring in full force, it’s time for spring cleaning! A huge part of extending the life of your hardwood floors is regular maintenance, and now is the perfect time to put in extra love for your floors. Since hardwood flooring is a durable flooring option, it is easy to take care of. Here’s an easy to follow schedule to ensure your hardwood floors are always in the best possible condition.
General Habits to Start Following
- Protect your floors in the kitchen with rugs. Place them on areas most likely to have spills, like under the sink, refrigerator, and stove.
- Use mats outside all exterior doors, such as your front door and back door. This prevents dirt from coming into your home.
- Place fabric glides under furniture to prevent scrapes and dents.
- Aim to sweep daily, but do not use a broom with sharp bristles.
- Clean up spills immediately to ensure your floors do not get damaged.
- Try to avoid wearing shoes in the house. Shoes with heavy soles like high-heels can cause dents in the floor over time.
- Dust mop and vacuum the floors. For dusting, we always recommend only using products that are safe for hardwood floors, like Bona hardwood floor cleaner.
- Wash any rugs that are on your hardwood floors.
- Clean doormats outside so there’s no lingering dirt being carried into your home on someone’s shoes.
If your floors are waxed, rewax them. This can greatly extend the life of your hardwood floors.
- Hardwood floors changes color when it is exposed to sunlight for an extended period of time. To avoid an uneven appearance, move your rugs and mats around.
- And if the UV damage has already affected your floors, they can always be refinished to look new again!
Curious about other ways to maintain the life of your floors? Contact the hardwood flooring experts at Signature Hardwood Floors for any questions, and a FREE ESTIMATE. You can call us at 410.415.0755 or click here today! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn!